Bleaching FabricOctober 24, 2006 at 11:19 pm | Posted in Sewing/Crafts | 4 Comments
Martha Stewart Living ran an article over the summer about bleaching fabric. Emily’s post last week reminded me to try it. I just filled the washer up with hot water and a couple cups of bleach, then added the fabric and ran a cycle. Here are my favorites (the top photos are the original colors; the bottom ones, the bleached ones):
- Gray-blue-green with wheat colored leaves. Turned out light gray with mustard-y leaves. The shadows show up a lot better.
- Icky olive brown with dark plum buds turned into a neat ochre with wine-colored buds.
- Lilies of the valley on light blue with blue-green leaves -> lavender background with olive green leaves.
- Dark teal vines on blue yielded dark green vines on sage green vines.
- Vines on purplish blue became vines on medium gray.
Not all of the fabric I washed had such dramatic results, but I’m particularly fond of these because they were colors I would probably not ever use. Now I am searching for an excuse to use them!